Monday, March 05, 2007

Knock Back In Time

I’m feeling a little low tonight. I had quite a productive day at work but everything else is getting a little on top of me. I think the change in the day was an email I had about some freelance work I had submitted that they don’t want and it’s a magazine I have been desperate to work for, but what can you do?

I have to look on the bright side. I have a possible deal with a publishers (no bloody agent yet though ha), I have my columns in Bent and am going to be working on QR lots, oh and the reviewing for Waterstones. So frankly I need to sit back and stop being such a whinge bag!

The biggest issue for me with my writing is self doubt. I try my hardest to be confident, calm and happy, but deep down is a worm that’s eating away at me and its stopping me from doing anything. Does anyone else get like this?

The positives of the day have been high. I am not going to one fabulous party but two on Saturday. I have one with my mate Melissa where I am going for a meal and then one with one of the editors of QR, so that’s lovely. Maureen had a mass of review/advance books she didn’t want so I was naturally in heaven, I took a shit load! ‘Kept’ by D J Taylor (which I’ve really been wanting to read), ‘Vienna Blood’, ‘Set in Stone’ by Linda Newbery and ‘Man Walks Into A Room’ by the fabulous Nicole Krauss. I also got my Mum and my Gran a few books. Legendary! I’m addicted ok? What can I do about it; it’s a non changeable part of me. I still bought that book ‘The Tenderness of Wolves’ that everyone is raving about.

Actually that book has a fabulous story. Stef Penney who wrote it is agoraphobic. The book is set in the 1860’s in Canada. She did all her research and scene setting in the British Library and its won the Whitbread Award, and had people totally believing she had been to the places in Canada she described. Now if that’s not inspiring I don’t know what is.

Right I am cream crackered and I think that I deserve a long soak in the bath with my book… bye-bye!

No comments: