Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sherlock Holmes and the Wax Museum

Sunday 15th April 2007

Having decided to make ‘Sunday’s Count’ recently Mr B and I decided that we would head out and have a full day. To be honest with you I don’t think we could have crammed anything else in!

We rose early (which is the only thing that I don’t like about the new Sunday counts idea) to head up to Baker Street. The original plan was to go to The London Dungeons, however it is the last Sunday of Easter and that will mean one thing… too many bloody kids. I like children, don’t get me wrong, but I only like the ones I know or get introduced to. Strange children are not my favourite thing, especially in big groups and when they are over excited. They seem to look at you like you are possibly going to be the result of a bad prank, either that or you are going to make them cry, or they could nick £50 off you. No unknown children and tourist attractions do not mix, well at least when I am at said attraction.

So after seeing The Sherlock Holmes museum last week we thought why not? I mean I hero worshipped him when I was a child and my great uncle used to memorise his adventures and recite them to me on 10mile a day walking holidays. I had a very weird childhood, one day I will write my memoirs and then you’ll all be sorry. So we went, its only £6 to get in which in London is frankly a bargain. It’s actually very good. There was an actor being Dr Watson and he talked happily to everyone and had photo’s (Mr B loves a good photo opportunity) with all who entered. It also had some very scary dummies of all the characters, so good in fact I thought Dr Moriarty was going to come to life. It was definitely an hour well spent.

Madame Tussaud’s followed. I hadn’t been there since I was about ten with my grandparents. I have since been told I also had my photo taken with Kylie then too! It was again good. The planetarium is now officially rubbish I have to say. When I last went you got a fascinating tour of the solar system and it was really memorable. This new thing was for kids (if they didn’t get bored after three minutes I would be amazed – I was) and all about ‘why we love celebrities’ I wanted to be sick. The waxworks are good, Kylie hasn’t seemed to change since the 80’s – ok the outfits have, the face has not. That reminds me I have still not been to the Kylie Exhibition.

Funniest moment of the day (well until the one coming later) was Mr B in the Chamber of Horrors ‘Live’. I have never heard a grown man scream so much. He was holding onto men that weren’t me, getting most aggravated when I used him as a human shield from the live actors and generally a nervous screaming wreck. I was in hysterics until he trod on my bloody toe, in flip flops as well.

Regents Park was the scene of the next funny incident afterwards. I told you all about the lovely pedal boat trip I had there a week or so ago with Mr B. Well this week he wanted to row a boat for me. I thought this really romantic until we ended up pushed out in the middle of the lake and him suddenly saying ‘maybe I don’t know how to row after all baby’. What did I do? Those of you who know me will know I am a calm and quite amiable person. Yes, I threw a major hissy fit in which I think the f-word saw the light of day every second, before going very quiet and silently sulking. How grown up me. By the time we got to the gayest pool in London (the Oasis) for a swim and sunbath an hour later I had calmed down somewhat. I even managed to enjoy some sushi at my favourite (its gone a bit shit) restaurant Gili Gulu, so it all ended well I guess.

Oh does anyone know if you’re allowed to write new Sherlock Holmes mysteries? I would love to and have seen someone else has – I don’t know if the Conan Doyle Estate allows it. How do I find out?

No comments: