Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Ducking Scandal

Friday 2nd of February

Have seen the fabulous ‘Notes on a Scandal’. It is truly brilliant – I cannot recommend it enough – and Dame Judi of the Dench is just superb. Psychotic, evil and yet cunningly sweet to begin she makes Sheba (Cate Blanchett – also good) have the downfall of all downfalls.

Ok so it’s not the book but then no movie ever is! The ending (which I won’t give away) is different – but strangely more satisfying! I would recommend the book to anyone though; it’s a book that is disturbing yet readable.

Another such book is the one I now have my face deeply engrossed in, Running with Scissors the memoir of a truly dysfunctional childhood by Augusten Burroughs. The quote ‘I would write it down but no one would believe it’ is justified. So far at the age of 13 he has had his mother give him to her psychiatrist and has just started a love affair with the paedophile homosexual who lives in a barn at the end of the garden (I love how us gays get such lovely characters) its madness but also brilliant! Sadly it’s one of those books that makes me sad am away and have to go out and do things, but thems the breaks xxxxxxxxx

No comments: