Friday, April 11, 2008

One Mean Old Philly

One of the great things about my job is that you get offered some really great opportunities (such as interviewing AJ from the Backstreet Boys today and finding out which member has the best member) the one that has finally been booked is a travel feature… in Philadelphia. I know my jaw hit the floor on Tuesday when I got the call. Then the dates came in and it got a bit awkward.

Its from the 28th of April until the 6th of May for a forum (which I will be talking at – eek) and for a celebration of the City as an American Gay City Holiday Spot, so bars and the works. Sadly however it is Bong’s ashes weekend that weekend also which would be his birthday weekend if he was alive too. Bong helped to bring me up and was the closest thing I had to a Dad and when he died last year it was possibly the hardest few months of my life. I spent almost all the 7 of his last weeks (he had liver cancer and died 7 weeks after his diagnosis aged 68) up there and tried to be around as much as I could (whilst having an operation as they thought I may have cancer) but I am feeling guilty as I have chosen Philadelphia.

My reasons? I asked myself (after my mother told me to) what would Bong want me to do and have chosen Philadelphia. When someone dies you realise how short life is, you realise you should take any chance that comes to you. Yes I know I will be the only one of the family who isn’t there, and I do feel bad about it; however I will remember him in my own way on his birthday. So why do I still feel so mean?

No comments: